Copy Location Shell Extension
This shell extension adds the ability to copy file and
folder names from the Windows Explorer window to the
Simply select the file(s) whose name you want to copy,
right-click and select "Copy File Path" or "Copy File Name"
from the context menu. Then paste to any editor.
Copy File Path - copies the entire path to the file.
Copy File Name - copies only the file name without the folder.
Current version: 1.1.0 (July 6, 2010)
You can download the shell extension and the source code separately:
Add-in only (size 33KB) -
Source code (size 43KB) -
1. Unzip CopyLocation.zip to the folder where you want to
install utility (e.g., C:\Windows).
2. Go to the installation folder and double-click on
install.bat or install64.bat, depending on the type of
your Windows: 32 or 64-bit.
3. If you wish, you can delete the .bat files and the .dll
of the other Windows type.
Install.bat registers CopyLocation.dll in the system.
Alternatively you can:
1. Copy CopyLocation.dll to the installation folder (e.g.,
C:\Windows). Use CopyLocation64.dll if you're running a
64-bit version of Windows.
2. From the Start menu select Run...
3. Type "regsvr32.exe C:\Windows\CopyLocation.dll" (or
CopyLocation64.dll) and press OK. Specify the exact
Note: you have to have administrative rights to run regsvr32.exe.
To uninstall the shell extension:
1. From the Start menu select Run...
2. Type "regsvr32.exe /u C:\Windows\CopyLocation.dll" and
press OK (specify the exact installation folder).
3. Delete CopyLocation.dll from the installation folder.
You may need to reboot before you can delete the DLL.
Porting to 64-bit Windows.
Some users had minor compilation problems.
First release outside my small beta tester comunity.
This software is free. It is distributed with the
source code and you are encouraged to do anything you
want with it. If you do anything interesting, I'd be
happy to hear about it.