Open with Notepad
This shell extension adds the ability to open files
in notepad directly from the explorer's context menu.
Simply select the file(s) that you want to view, right-click
and select "Open with Notepad" from the context menu.
Current version: 1.1.0 (July 6, 2010)
You can download the shell extension and the source code separately:
Add-in only (size 33KB) -
Source code (size 43KB) -
1. Unzip openwithnotepad.zip to the folder where you want to
install the utility (e.g., C:\Windows).
2. Go to the installation folder and double-click on
install.bat or install64.bat, depending on the type of
your Windows: 32 or 64-bit.
3. If you wish, you can delete the .bat files and the .dll
of the other Windows type.
Install.bat registers openwithnotepad.dll in the system.
Alternatively you can:
1. Copy openwithnotepad.dll to the installation folder (e.g.,
C:\Windows). Use openwithnotepad64.dll if you're running a
64-bit version of Windows.
2. From the Start menu select Run...
3. Type "regsvr32.exe C:\Windows\openwithnotepad.dll" (or
openwithnotepad64.dll) and press OK. Specify the exact
Note: you have to have administrative rights to run regsvr32.exe.
To uninstall the shell extension:
1. From the Start menu select Run...
2. Type "regsvr32.exe /u C:\Windows\openwithnotepad.dll" and
press OK (specify the exact installation folder)
3. Delete openwithnotepad.dll from the installation folder.
You may need to reboot before you can delete the DLL.
Porting to 64-bit Windows.
First release outside my small beta tester comunity.
This software is free. It is distributed with the
source code and you are encouraged to do anything you
want with it. If you do anything interesting, I'd be
happy to hear about it.